The small village of Brampton Abbotts is just a few miles to the north of Ross-on-Wye.
The village is currently without a working church building as St Michael and All Angels had to be closed in 2008 when the roof was found to be unsafe. Since that time work has been going on to try to secure a future for the building, either restored to use as a church building or converted for other use. You can see what’s going on via the regeneration group’s Facebook Page
We are delighted to report that a grant of £213, 500 from the Heritage Lottery Fund has now been secured. Furthermore, that the grant has been match funded by grants from the Hereford Historic Churches Trust and the Allchurches Trust.
Thanks to National Lottery players, we are now able to turn our vision into a reality.
In the meantime services are thriving twice a month at the village hall and at Brampton Abbotts School.
Visiting Brampton Abbotts Church
It is not possible to gain access to the interior of the Church at present due to health and safety issues. The churchyard is fully accessible, however and is well worth a visit simply to take in the view. The exterior of the church is fully accessible. Parking for a few cars is available in front of the lychgate and a larger car park through the gate on the north side of the church.
Services at Brampton Abbotts
While there is no working church building services are being held twice a month in the the Village Hall (HR9 7JD) and at Brampton Abbotts CE Primary School (HR9 7FX). Details on the Services page.
Brampton Abbotts Groups and Activities
You’ll find details of all Benefice groups and activities in the Groups menu group above. Activities and groups specific to Brampton Abbotts will be found here.
Parish Church of St. Michael stands in the middle of the parish. The walls are of local sandstone rubble with dressings of the same material; the roofs are covered with stone slates and tiles.
The Chancel and Nave are 12th century, but the building was much altered in the 14th century, when the south porch was added. The chancel arch was rebuilt and widened, probably in the 16th century, and the west wall repaired in 1686.
The church was restored in 1848, in 1857, and again more recently when the bell-turret was largely or entirely re-built, the vestry added on the north side of the chancel and the south porch re-built.
The church is now in a dangerous state and was closed in 2008. Discussions are ongoing as to the future of the building.
More on the history of the church and village here.
Brampton Abbotts PCC
The PCC still meets and recent items on the agenda have been
- building on our very active church community by recruiting our new house for duty priest,
- planned giving and more.
- churchyard maintenance