Sometimes a funeral can be anticipated, at other times we find ourselves having to make arrangements for a funeral unexpectedly. We hope the information here will be helpful if you find yourself having to arrange a funeral of a loved one.
Anyone is entitled to a funeral service in any of our parishes provided they lived there, have died in one of the parishes or are on the Church Electoral Roll of one of the parishes in the Benefice.
Burial and Interment of Cremated Remains
- For families wishing burial or interment in one of our churchyards, the deceased must have been resident in the parish, or have died there or have been or the Church Electoral Roll there or be in possession of a faculty.
- The deceased may be buried or have their cremated remains interred in an existing family grave where there is space if the family concerned agrees.
- Ross Churchyard is now closed for burials except where there is unused space in a double grave.
Arranging a funeral
- Choose a funeral director who will explain the choices open to you and their cost.
- The funeral director negotiates with you and the Benefice Administrator when and where the funeral is to take place. The priest taking the service will have been given early details of the funeral supplied by the funeral director to the Team Office.
- The priest taking the service will visit you to take things further.
Churchyards and Monuments
- If you wish to mark the grave or interment plot with a memorial stone, you arrange this either through a funeral director or directly with a stonemason of your choosing.
- All stonemasons are governed by the Diocesan Regulations for headstones and memorial tablets in churchyards.
- The Church Fees which are standard throughout the Church of England will form part of bill you receive from the funeral director or stonemason.
• These can be arranged in any of our churches by contacting the Benefice Administrator
• The same fees apply as for funerals.
Link to the National Association of Funeral Directors
See also the Bereavement Support Group page