The small village of Brampton Abbotts is just a few miles to the north of Ross-on-Wye.

A major restoration of the church building has been going on for some while and the good news is that the building is now nearly ready to be open again. There’s an update in this film.

IMG_0783 (1)

There’s still work to be done as it reestablishes itself as a community building with occasional services and you can find more on all this on the  regeneration group’s Facebook Page.  In the meantime services are taking place (twice a month) at Brampton Abbotts School.

56815916_2559870334087382_3910747098022150144_n

ba-interior


Visiting Brampton Abbotts Church

Parking for a few cars is available in front of the lychgate and normally a larger car park through the gate on the north side of the church is available (though currently a builders’ yard!)


Services at Brampton Abbotts

Services are being held twice a month at Brampton Abbotts CE Primary School (HR9 7FX). Details on the Services page. Occasional services take place in the church.


Brampton Abbotts Groups and Activities

You’ll find details of all Benefice groups and activities in the Groups menu group above. Activities and groups specific to Brampton Abbotts will be found here.


History

Parish Church of St. Michael stands in the middle of the parish. The walls are of local sandstone rubble with dressings of the same material; the roofs are covered with stone slates and tiles.

The Chancel and Nave are 12th century, but the building was much altered in the 14th century, when the south porch was added. The chancel arch was rebuilt and widened, probably in the 16th century, and the west wall repaired in 1686.

The church was restored in 1848, in 1857, and again more recently when the bell-turret was largely or entirely re-built, the vestry added on the north side of the chancel and the south porch re-built.

The church had major restoration work in 2018 & 19 in order that the building, closed for ten years can now be open once more.

More on the history of the church and village here.